Friday, June 23, 2017

Friday!

School is getting a bit harder. If I am not 100% focused during class, I will not understand the Korean the teacher is saying :( It takes a lot of effort to learn it.... and I don't learn super fast. My classmates are quite ahead of me (probably because I was not really supposed to be in the class in the first place...), so they were doing this quite effortlessly, while I struggle to speak with the correct grammar structure and learn new vocab at the same time. Bleh.

Now that weekend has arrived, I will rest just a little bit..... Sometimes going out and meeting Korean people (like vendors and etc) makes me a little discouraged about speaking Korean since I feel so tongue-tied that I can't contribute much in the conversation :(

One interesting that happened today was that I ordered delivery in half Korean half English to be delivered to a classroom where we were waiting to sign up for Music Bank recording. I think I'm at the point of "whatever, I'm just gonna try to speak with my limited Korean and see how far that will get us" and it actually worked! I'm pretty proud of myself for continuing to step out of my comfort zone and use Korean until the point that I cannot communicate anymore...

Here is a picture of the cheez-chi-ken-ton-kat-seu that I ordered. Quite yummy. Did I mention that the "in" thing now is that they have cheese in almost everything?
So I also met up with one of my Korean international students today!! I'm so glad that she came to meet me (and wanting to meet me in Korea!).
She brought over two people who were Korean tour guides and we went to have authentic Korean BBQ with soy sauce raw crab!
I was really appreciative of the people who spoke Korean at the table, but at the same time, feeling quite weird that I can't really do anything (or interact with the waiters) unless they help me. Bleh.
Afterwards, we went to Han River (!!) to just sightsee and watch the water show. It's really cool.... finally seeing Han River after seeing it in all the dramas.
There was food trucks everywhere and people passing out flyers for delivery at Han River (because people picnic there all the time). It was really festive... and I think it pretty much happens every night.

Our guides were very generous and paid for our drinks as well. My student got the "Sunrise" and I got a grapefruit-ade. Quite tasty.
There was also this "floating island" thing on the Han River that has cafe and other stuff (I'm not sure what). It's very pretty because the building kept changing colors.
Later, we went to the Han River and just saw and watch the water fountain with music. A lot of couples were there (they said it's very popular for couples and they often feel weird going there without a date). It was really relaxing to just sit and feel the breeze and listen to the music.
And that's the adventure for the day!

One more thing. We moved into the dorms today and it's definitely not as good as the hotel. First of all, they told us that there is no bed sheet and pillow so we had to get our own... but they never said there was no blanket and bathroom supplies, like toilet paper either! Oiy......... So I had to go to Grand Mart to buy a pillow and blanket after coming back from Han River or else I would be wrapping myself in a lot of clothes tonight....... Second, it's just a lot more like regular "dorm", where things aren't as clean as they should be. Bleh. Definitely reminds me of the dorm lifestyle again!

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahah cheese everywhere! I'm subscribe to this Korean food channel on FB and everything in past year has been cheese cheese cheese! Do you like it? I do love Korean cheese... Have you tried Korean milk? To me it taste much richer than milk in US. I can't imagine eating 떡볶이 or 라면 with cheese.

    Congrats on ordering delivery in Korea! Omg... John loved ordering Chinese food over the phone. I miss ordering Korean fried chicken... and soysauce crab?! That's like one of my fav food! My mom won't make it in US because crab doesn't taste good here... So good! I'm super jealous!

    I'm so glad you are sight seeing all the popular places like hongdae, han river, palaces... doesn't it seem like all the young kids are dating? I'm glad you are having a great experience. Hope the class gets easier for you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything has cheese!!!!!! The kbbq has cheese on it, the "in" thing these days is hotdog with cheese inside.... ramen has cheese, katsu has cheese...... it's everywhere!!

      Delete