Wednesday, June 21, 2017

2nd Day

I know you can't really imagine it, but there was a mass exodus of foreigners from the hotel we're currently living to Sogang University in the morning. Like..... 90 people?! People were looking at us quite weird..
It was like a huge gang blocking off the street....

So in the morning, we had our orientation of what to expect and rules and all that.....
Got our ID....... AND! They gave us a gift of external battery!!
What?! That's nice!

Here is a picture of one hall in the school. The school looks more asian (think Taiwan University and etc) than American (you know, the red bricks and cathedral style look?). The school is a Jesuit, so there is a lot of Christian stuff around the school. I'm getting a tour next Monday, so I'll post more pictures then..
We had lunch at school and I got the 라몪기 (I think that's how you spell it?). Basically tteokbokki with ramyeon.. haha. It was quite good (probably because I really like tteokbokki sauce).
In the afternoon, I went with my roommate to Hongdae. Hmm.... I'm really really not good at shopping so I really didn't know what to buy at all. And I realized that I'm quite horrible at maps..... so I really didn't enjoyed it as much as I probably could :(

Found a Line friends store. Really really small. Gotta go to the flagship store one of these days..
And they have this humidifier...... using a water bottle! What what?!
Walking along the streets.... there is a store that sells fresh strawberry milk (I saw some fresh mango milk later). I saw it on a blog before and it was a must try.... but ....... 7,000 won!?!?!?!?!? So my cheap self wouldn't let me get it this time.
People gathering around some guys who were doing a Kpop dance cover of BTS song (that's what my roommate told me). They have a small fan base cheering for them -_-
We went to eat at a restaurant that mostly is for people who drink and etc. It's really similar to drama...... people drink a lot!!!!! The food wasn't great and the people didn't really help us either. 
The interesting to see is that at these more or less low budget restaurants, their tissue is a bag that hangs off of the beam so people can just take it. (the bag that's hanging off of the window-like thing)
And I saw a theme cafe on the way back...... cat cafe. There are real cats in there drinking coffee with you. Yes. Very interesting.

Final thought: It's a bit hard to get around Korea without speaking Korean. You can try speaking English to most of them, but a lot of them are a bit scared to speak English so they'll either ask someone else to speak to you, or speak Korean back to your English question. I tried to use my limited Korean... but it's quite embarrassing -_-

Another note, I went to see if I can move up my Korean class level a bit and had to take a placement exam. I had to write a self-introduction and answer some face-to-face interview question. It was quite difficult for me... because I can understand what they're saying, but I can't respond very well. The teacher who tested me said that I probably should not move up a level because I want to practice my speaking... sigh, it was a bit sad, but now I get to start from the ground up!

Alright, on to the next day!

4 comments:

  1. wow wow wow!!! i wanna just press "like" after each picture haha. you are a really good blogger Ann!!! so why did your Canadian roommate wanna learn Korean?? how did she get interested?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you faithful reader! My roommate is super into Kpop and drama. She knows EVERYTHING about the current Kpop. It's crazy. Like, everything.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you are so advance in Korean, enough to understand what we are saying. Well, if you want to practice Korean even after you come back feel free to practice with me. The correct spelling is 라볶기 😉 I'm so impressed with everything, Ann! Yeah, people are super shy about speaking English. The older generation doesn't speak it at all, but younger ones just avoid it much as possible. But keep practicing. Don't be embarrassed! You are doing great! Thanks for blogging! You are a really awesome blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! That spelling looks so much better than mind :p

      And yes! I would love to practice Korean when I get back!

      Delete