Monday, June 26, 2017

Starting Week 2...

Started class again today. To be honest, I wasn't mentally prepared to be in Korean study mode again. It's like going up to battle.... If I don't concentrate 100%, it's very likely that I will miss what the teacher is saying........ and to pay that much attention all the time is really tiring. Nevertheless, second week here I come!

I think all the students in our class understand Korean by listening much better than speaking. We all understand what the teacher says, but we can't really respond well besides saying "yes yes" all the time. Haha. I guess that's what happens when you watch K-drama and variety shows a lot without taking a formal class to have someone practice with you. Your listening skill increases exponentially, while your speaking, writing, and reading skills are zip.

It was raining in the morning and afternoon today, which makes it a stay at dorm day for me.
It wasn't pouring pouring, but it was definitely raining. So yeah, I pretty much stayed in the dorm all day today, making it a money saving day (only spent ~3,000 won for ramen lunch) and resting my feet day (my feet were killing me the last two days!).

We had our first culture class today, which was just an introduction of the rest of the weeks. Each day thereafter is filled with activities! I'm excited to experience all this stuff..... the normal Korean stuff that's not just Kpop and Kdrama all the time. Haha.

The next few weeks consists of learning cooking, visiting war memorial museum, taekwando, field trip, mask dance, learning Kpop dance, and many others. It's quite activity filled!

So a group of us girls are really excited about learning Kpop dance. They will actually get someone who knows how to dance to teach us any song that we pick! So the girls REALLY know the songs that are "in" and were talking about all these songs they want to dance to...... and I have no idea what those songs are. They were thinking about EXO Monster or Blackpink "As if it's your last". I looked them up on YouTube today and yes, definitely not easy songs. A girl was talking about BTS song today and I was like.... they're wayyyyy too professional for us to learn that dance. Whew~

So we'll see what we decide as a group. I'm excited to actually learn from a Kpop dance teacher!

And here is the phenomenon that has been happening at school. Just so you know, Koreans use Kakao Talk instead of other messaging system, and so all the teachers gave us their Kakao Talk ID and so we all downloaded Kakao Talk to make sure we're connected. I currently have 54 friends on Kakao Talk...... just for coming to Korea! So the phenomenon is..... we ALL just add people in class that we meet for an hour because hey, if you're here by yourself, you gotta make some friends to know the way around right? So EVERYONE adds EVERYONE that they see. It's almost like "hey, nice to meet you. Can I add you on Kakao Talk?" Yup. That's literally it.
That's a picture of people scanning each others' QR codes and adding each other. Gotta stay connected, you know?

Last, but not least, I really enjoy the dorm food more than any other food I've had in Korea so far. They are the best! 진짜 맛있어요!
Unfortunately, there are students here who are just too...... not well traveled, to appreciate things. Maybe it's the youngness in these kids. A lot of students complain about the food being not good tasting, or boring, or repetitive, etc etc. And a lot of other stuff they complain about. I mean, if you're traveling, then try to adjust. And... I mean, if you choose to come to Korea to experience the life here as a student, then live like a student. Adjust! Be flexible! Try to adapt instead of complain. Oiy!!

I got a new roommate now that I've moved to the dorms and she's very different from the Canadian roommate. I feel that she's a bit boy crazy :( She's always looking for cute boys.... even though she's not that much younger than I am. I think it scares some of the guys away... because she even spies on them to see what they're doing. Oiy. Anyways, just thought it was an interesting thing to share.

Lastly, a new phrase I learned in class today.
It means "I like it"... or I guess the literal meaning, "sounds good to my heart" (correct me if I'm wrong!). I just thought it's such an interesting way of saying it... haha.

Alright, time to sleep. Onto the adventure tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. you got me looking thru youtube korean street food videos now.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Boy crazy! Ah the young and naive years. =) Hopefully, you can still meet up with Canadian roommate. Sounds like you get along with her better.

    ReplyDelete