Sunday, January 10, 2021

2021 Korean Resolution

I've been thinking a lot about my Korean learning resolution this year... to be honest, I'm not sure if I have any! Is it really necessary that I continue to learn...? Sigh. I don't know. 

However, our teacher showed us the winner of this year's Sejong Speech Contest in Korea.... and wow!! They're GOOD! It makes me feel like.... I really ought to get to that level and not stop! 

https://www.korea.net/NewsFocus/People/view?articleId=191790

I think I have gotten complacent with my current level because I can understand "enough" and can express myself "enough"...but truly, I'm really only at an intermediate level. I can guess pretty well, thanks to my Chinese background, but that doesn't mean I can express myself to that level nor be able to understand EVERYTHING they say and respond accurately. 

Hmm... so what's my goal for 2021?

  • TOPIK Reading and Listening score to be above 80/100 by the end of June.
  • Focus mainly on expressing myself through speaking and writing.
    • Be able to use other sentence endings more comfortably.
    • Whatever my language partner has noticed as problems, make a conscious effort to correct them.
    • Speak Korean at least 30 minutes a week with somebody...

How will I achieve these goals?
  • Read articles at least once a week and study the words I don't know well. And then use them in a sentence immediately!
  • Shadow the Naver language thing to match exactly. Do it at least once a week.
  • Alternate between IYAGI practice (mark up sentence breaks and intonations) and recording my own speech practices every other week to get a different kind of practice.
  • Try this once in a while.... watch a variety show and take notes of what they say, how they say it, and check up words I don't know (and phrases I don't feel comfortable with).
Hmmm... this is a lot. Hopefully I can hit some of these targets...

No comments:

Post a Comment