Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Korean War Memorial Museum (전쟁기념관)

First.... obligatory breakfast picture..
Mmmm.... so yum.

So today we went to the Korean War Memorial Museum that talked about all the wars that had happened in Korea. It's mainly focused on the Korean War, but it also included some things from Joseon era. Here are some pictures of the exterior:
We got an English guide for the tour, but his English wasn't great :( AND, he wasn't using his megaphone correctly, so we were losing half of what he was saying all the time...... Please correct me if any of the history facts I write below is wrong!!!

Nevertheless, here are some things I captured. This is a drum that they hit once a year (not this one, there's one outside the Blue House) for good luck.
A replica of the city in Joseon era.
In the Korean War, the communists from the North were fighting the South and at one point, the South was pushed back to only Busan was remaining as the free territory.
But one of the American general was able to reroute around and land on Incheon, which cut off Korea at the 38th parallel, which took back half of the country. They had a stalemate for a while, and eventually, UN stepped in and wanted peace talk. I think it was at the time that North Koreans dug four tunnels to try to get in South Korea.
When UN signed the deal with North Korea to split the country, South Korea did not sign the deal because they never wanted to split the country. The guide says even now, they are looking to one day reunifying the country as one Korea.
There was a gallery walkway to commemorate all the people from different countries who came to help South Korea during the war.
And a place for visitors to leave messages for people they miss..
After the war, foreign countries came to help rebuild South Korea. 
It was just really sad looking over the history. There had been too many invasions from other countries, and too many people were sacrificed. Sigh.....

We walked back from the subway to our dorm in the hot and humid weather (temperature wise, I think is ok, but the long walk makes it really hot...). A classmate suggested that we try this peach tea from GS25. It's really interesting... you buy the tea pouch and then pour it into a GS25 cup of ice.
It tasted really good! Unexpectedly! 

And then I bought some Market O Real Brownie that everyone had been raving about on the internet.
Mmm..... it's good? But I'm pretty sure Americans know how to make real brownies from scratch so..... probably won't bring it back to the States.

Lastly, our teacher checked our workbook today and wrote a comment on my book:
She said that I put in a lot of effort and did  a good job! Awwwww....... 선생님!! I realized that teachers comments really encourage the students (as well as their presence intimidate students when students are practicing speaking...). 

Oh and I got my phone fixed! Apparently I had to have some voice credit in my phone in order to access data. So when I used up all my voice credit, even though I still have data left, I couldn't access it o_O. That's a very interesting rule.... nevertheless, it's working now!

2 comments:

  1. I like the obligatory dorm food pictures :)

    Nice museum!! but wow so much history :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you probably know more Korean history than I do! Hahaha yeah, the American general was name macArthur.

    Awww... The teacher is so nice. If you work on your workbook as diligent and thorough as your blog, I'm sure you are going to get A+++++ on your class!

    ReplyDelete